Home | How It Works | Guarantee | Privacy | Order Now | Search Unclaimed Money | Help

Help on how to dispute a credit report

You receive your credit report and find there is an inaccuracy. The following data will help you in knowing some basic rules to follow.

Disputing inaccuracies on your credit report can be a quick and simple process for some. For others, it may prove more complicated. The reason for that is most often it depends on the cooperation of the creditor that reported the information to the credit bureau.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) protects consumers in dispute situations, mandating that credit reporting agencies (CRAs) must respond to your dispute by initiating an investigation and collecting evidence (where possible) from your creditors. If the information is inaccurate, the CRA must either remove or correct the disputed information, usually within 30 days.

For accuracy and evidence if needed, file your dispute in writing. According to the FCRA, a credit bureau has 30 days to investigate a dispute raised regarding possible inaccuracies on a consumer’s credit report. The bureau must then give you the written results plus a free copy of your report if the dispute resulted in a change.

To dispute inaccurate information on your Equifax, Experian, or Trans Union credit report, write to the bureau that supplied the information and use the address provided. It is wise to enclose a photocopy and not the original of your credit report. Circle the item(s) under dispute. If you number the inaccuracies, you can make reference to these numbers in your letter. Be sure to include:

      * Your full name (first, middle and last including any applicable suffixes such as Jr., Sr., II, etc.
* Your complete mailing address
* Your date of birth
* Your Social Security number (this is necessary to access your credit report)
* The name and account number of the creditor and item in question
* The specific reason for your disagreement with the disputed item
* Your signature

It is perfectly acceptable for you to contact the creditor directly to dispute information they are reporting that you consider inaccurate. According to the FCRA, if you tell a creditor that you dispute an item, they may not then report the item to a bureau without including a notice of your dispute. Furthermore, once you have notified the creditor of your dispute in writing, they may not continue to report the information if it is, in fact, an error.

While reviewing your credit report you may have recalled an unclaimed asset. This can be true as there are 9 out of 10 Americans that are owed money. This has totalled in excess of $25 Billion in unclaimed property that states are holding for individuals.

A free money search can be done. Once on this site, enter your name and a search of all state and federal databases will be done. You will also be given instructions on how to claim your unclaimed money.

Affiliate Program | How It Works | Guarantee | Privacy | Unclaimed Property Blog | Order Now | Media & Press Relations
Unclaimed Property Definitions | Unclaimed Money | Useful Money Links | Link To Us | State Property List | Help

Copyright © 2002 CashUnclaimed.com. All Rights Reserved. By use of this site you are specifically agreeing to
the terms of use posted on this site. You should click here to review them now.

When you perform a free trial search on CashUnclaimed.com we display the total dollar amount in unclaimed funds that we show reported by the appropriate government agencies. This does not guarantee that this money is 100% absolutely yours. What it means is that there is that total dollar amount shown by government agencies under your name and common variations of your name at the last time we had the information available to us was reported as unclaimed and is able to have a claim form submitted to be paid that amount. For more information please read our terms of use by clicking the link above.